“Who pays on the first date?”
What a wonderful question that is sure to bring out the best in us by forcing us to think critically about closely-held traditions, equality, and what it means to be a man or woman in the 21st century.
On the one hand, we have the folks who claim that men, under every conceivable circumstance, should pay on the first date.
These are typically people born before 1975 hearkening back to the good old days as well as the ladies who love scoring free grub in exchange for a disingenuous offer to pitch in.
And then of course you have those who believe that splitting the bill is the way to go. Typically younger and unshackled by the cultural trappings of eras past, these pragmatic types throw romantics and chivalry out the window in favor of gender equality.
It’s all so confusing, right? Everybody seems to have an opinion, and how are you supposed to know what you should do if you ever have the misfortune on going on a first date in the modern era?
So to help you out a bit we’ve compiled a list of the best reasons we could think of as to why various parties should pay on the first date.
👨 Why Men Should Pay on the First Date
1. Because it’s tradition.
2. Because it’s emasculating when a man doesn’t pay.
3. Because of the wage gap.
4. Because it costs women a fortune to get dolled up.
5. Because of the patriarchy.
6. Because you’re gay.
👩 Why Women Should Pay on the First Date
1. Because men have had to pay as long as we can remember and it’s time for reparations.
2. Because money means power, and power means choice, and women need more power.
3. Because you wouldn’t want a man to assume you owe him sex.
4. Because it’s rebellious.
5. Because he’s likely paying child support and could use a break.
6. Because you’re lesbian.
💔 CAN’T AFFORD TO GO ON A DATE? 😭 Click here to check out our list of 100+ SIDE HUSTLES. We make thousands of dollars a month from our side hustles, and there’s no reason why you can’t too. Or, at the very least, you should have some spare cash in your pocket to go out on a date. 💑
👨 Why the Person Who Asked Should Pay on the First Date
1. Because you actually think men should pay on the first date but don’t want to come off as sexist and self-serving.
2. Because the asker got to pick who they went out with.
3. Because this is more romantic than going Dutch.
4. Because the asker presumably planned the date and knew how much it was going to cost beforehand.
5. Because this is typically the protocol in other, non-romantic contexts.
6. Because you can always ask them out next time and make up for it.
🤝 Why Both People Should Pay on the First Date
1. Because you both ate the food.
2. Because this is literally the first time you’ve met, and who pays for a stranger’s meal?
3. Because of equality and feminism and all that good stuff.
4. Because you’re both invested in the outcome of this date.
5. Because that way both of you can get rewards points.
6. Because if this were the rule, we can stop having this stupid debate without anybody feeling left out.
😈 Why No One Should Pay on the First Date
1. Because you get free food.
2. Because it gets the adrenaline pumping.
3. Because you guys can be the next Bonnie & Clyde.
4. Because it will make up for all the tips you’ve both paid throughout your lifetimes.
5. Because the service sucked.
6. Because you can invest the money you would’ve spent on dinner and drinks. See our 31 Best Passive Income Ideas for 2017 for some pointers. 💯
👍 There You Have It!
We hope that clears everything up for you! Let us know if you have any questions. And happy dating! 😉
Earn 💵 Save 💰 Grow
Sign up to get new posts about earning, saving, and growing money! 💯